Samovar Tea Lounge, located in Yerba Buena Gardens in the SoMa district of San Francisco, is seeking a full time Front of House Manager to support our stellar team. Samovar serves the community as an urban sanctuary for locals and tourists alike seeking a nourishing dining experience with artisan teas, seasonal international cuisine, and craft wine and beer. We pride ourselves in world class customer service as well as our craft tea, food, and drink meu. We also offer private events dining for small and large parties alike.
We are Seeking
We are seeking a dynamic, hands on Manager, who is service oriented and understands hospitality through and through. Someone with a strong front of the house presence and a knowledge of back of the house operations, who can make and maintain customer relationships that insure customer satisfaction and repeat business; while leading, encouraging and inspiring their crew. The ideal candidate has experience managing a busy, upscale/casual restaurant, a passion for true hospitality, is knowledgeable in tea, wine, and food service, and is a strong leader, a team player, and genuinely enjoys working with and serving people.
Job Description/Summary of Position
The Front of House Manager works under the supervision of the General Manager. As the Front of House Manager you will serve as an ambassador to our customers, and will be the front line representative for customer service. You will serve as a host/hostess to customers and support kitchen staff by accommodating any special needs of guests. As a part of the management team you will be responsible to ensure that all standards are met by inspecting dining room serving stations and tables for cleanliness and neatness, restock supplies, set tables, bus tables, and expedite food levels at all food stations. The ideal candidate will oversee and coordinate the planning, organizing, training and leadership necessary to achieve stated objectives in sales, costs, employee retention, guest service and satisfaction, food quality, cleanliness and sanitation.
- Manages FOH staff, including scheduling, performance feedback, uniforms, and discipline.
- Coordinates/ Assigns activities of FOH personnel to provide fast and courteous service.
- Responsible for ongoing training and professional development of staff members.
- Effectively communicates with kitchen management to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Effectively builds trust with staff members and fellow kitchen management by providing clear and honest communication and feedback.
- Evaluates the quality, care and morale of the staff and strives to improve these areas through solid communication, care with schedule-writing, work group leadership, etc.
- Sets operational goals and follow-up plans for the work unit. Directs and holds all work unit staff accountable for those goals.
- Ensures the cleanliness of the Front of the House by maintaining to specified standards, passing Health Department audits with a 90% or better, and training staff on proper sanitation guidelines.
- Ensures service standards are maintained with secret shopper audits of 90%+.
- Successfully manages daily tasks utilizing the Redbook, and to to lists.
- Completes regular inventory.
- Accommodates any special needs of the guests.
- Inspects dining room service stations for neatness/cleanliness, correct food signs, restocks food and condiment stations while avoiding contamination.
- Train FOH employees on all service stations.
- Interview new FOH personnel.
- Direct team members on daily work assignments.
- Must have knowledge of food allergens and assist guest with allergies in navigating their experience.
- Maintain an extensive floor presence to support FOH and BOH staff.
- Understand completely all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and training programs.
- Ensure that all guests feel welcome and are given responsive, friendly and courteous service at all times.
- Achieve company objectives in sales, service, quality, appearance of facility and sanitation and cleanliness through training of employees and creating a positive, productive working environment.
- Control cash and other receipts by adhering to cash handling and reconciliation procedures in accordance with restaurant policies and procedures.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Continually strive to develop your staff in all areas of managerial and professional development.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurant, employees and guests.
You have the following attributes:
- 21 years of age or older.
- Strong integrity and honesty.
- Have knowledge of service and food and beverage, generally involving at least five years of front-of-the-house operations and/or assistant management positions.
- Possess excellent basic math skills and have the ability to operate a point of sale system.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 5 hours).
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must have the stamina to work an average of 55 hours per week.
- Experience with Square POS and inventory management a plus.
- Ability to train, lead, manage and inspire the service team.
- Manage all details of running the front of the house and guest relations.
- Strong business sense, a head for numbers and accounting.
- Cash handling, shift supervision and scheduling.
- Ordering and inventory counts.
- Excellent food & wine knowledge.
- Tea proficiency is a plus.
- Proficiency with Google Suite, Email, Social Media.
- Passion, energy, common sense, work ethic, enthusiasm, kindness.
- Maintain composure in stressful environments while being highly self-motivated and detail oriented.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must possess a current California Food Handler Card.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- 5+ years of experience in a food service operation and or customer service role required
- A minimum of 3 years previous restaurant management experience is desired but not required.
Commensurate with experience. $75,000-$85,000
Health, dental, vision, professional development available. Parking is provided!
Our operation is employee focused, ensuring that all staff feel that they are valued and benefit from their job above and beyond the standard financial motivators. We are always seeking people who take responsibility and look above and beyond to achieve greatness in their field. If you are looking for personal growth, professional development, a team oriented workplace, and to experience hospitality and hospitality business in a new and exciting environment, this is likely the position for you. If you are interested and feel that you might be a good fit, please apply here.