Kids Creative in New York City, NY is looking for one dance specialist to join our 69 person strong team. Our ideal candidate is self-driven, punctual, and engaged.
Primary Function:The primary role of the Dance Specialist to use dance as a means of teaching the Kids Creative philosophy of “All Ideas Are Good” to instill the 6 C’s of Kids Creative: Confidence, Collaboration, Creativity, Conflict Resolution, Community and Cookies. The Music Instructor will work along with Group Leaders, Peace & Culture Specialists and Division Leaders to promote children’s social-emotional growth through the arts.
Reports to:Site Director, Director of Education, and Director of Program Operations
Music Specialist Job Description
- Instruct and manage a group of approximately twenty (20) children in music classes (typically 45 min-1 hour in length) that are developmentally appropriate.
- Manage and supervise a teaching team (group leaders, counselors, and interns) where applicable
- Collaborate with students Theatre, Art, and Music Instructors (where applicable) to prepare a performance each semester. This will be shared with parents and the school community.
- Create a semester outline and daily lesson plans that embody the goals of Kids Creative and its partners and share with Kids Creative Program Director.
- Collaborate with the Program Director to modify semester outlines and lesson plans as required to address the needs of youth while maintaining the 6 C’s of KC philosophy
- Share scripts, lyrics and other creative material to Kids Creative each semester.
- Establish and promote Kids Creative’s “C” Values for community and peacebuilding in the classroom.
- Communicate with parents (and Site Director) regarding positive and negative behaviors of children
- Attend staff meetings and bi-monthly staff professional developments.
- Attend training and PDs when required
- Assure students are adequately supervised at all times
- Attend curriculum meetings as requested by the Director of Education
- Other duties as assigned by the Site Supervisor or other Senior Staff
- 3 years’ experience working with youth in an arts based programs
- Have a strong commitment to youth development and be familiar with common pedagogy in arts education
- Have experience creating and implementing lesson plans and collaborating with other teachers/artists
- Be amiable to fingerprinting and security clearance by NYC Dept. of Education
- Display expertise in one or more arts and a love for the creative arts overall
- Be confident expressing themselves creatively in front of children and can inspire children with their constant creativity
- Be excellent team players and leaders, able to bring the best out of their co-workers
We are looking forward to reading your application.